Open Letter to a CEO
Firstly, let me paint a picture of your future System after implementing the expertise of the 6+ Sigma Toyota Production System. The advantages of a maniacal focus on processes:
- Indeed, everyone in the organization is directed toward success,
- Your Organization focuses on value created,
- Everyone on the service or product line becomes a quality inspector through the use of andon:
- Above all, andon is the stoppage of a process when a defect is detected,
- Continuously remove defects,
- Toyota still receives about 800 andon stops per year per manufacturing plant,
- Toyota has a strategy to minimize the impact of stoppages.
Suppliers work to create just-in-time that decreases cost,
Seek System Perfection:
- Most importantly, improve at a rate of 11 employee ideas per year,
- All ideas are focused in a management-defined direction,
- Toyota will not expand to a new plant unless they have a critical mass of employees that know this procedure,
- Indeed, this is how come no competitor will ever catch Toyota, and
- Your culture changes to one of winning.
- In addition, implement the Pull Methodology wherever possible to increase process speed and minimize inventory waste,
Implement Lean Six Sigma and:
- Subsequently, increase process velocity,
- Decrease process costs, and
- Consequently, improve process quality.
- Meanwhile, report Success Metrics periodically to management, and
- Finally, your organization no longer worries about the competition but welcomes them. Your System will get stronger year after year.
The Toyota Production System is at 6+ Sigma and there’s no reason you cannot strive for that level of performance. Think about making progress towards a Malcolm Baldrige Award (indicating the realization of Operational Excellence, a competitive advantage).
Lean Six Sigma Master Black Belt
Apply the Tools of The Six Sigma Toyota Production System to Your System.
Build Your 6+ Sigma System.