Hospital Improvement by Using Toyota Productioni System Tools
Hospital improvement comes firstly from using the tools of the Toyota Production System. Hospitals face constant strain. If it is not pandemics, it’s constantly changing laws and forces to become more efficient. Subsequently Hospitals don’t understand the future pressures that Single Payer will put upon them. Hospitals must change. A Six Sigma Hospital will change constantly.
Create a Hospital that is Robust and Agile. The tools of The Toyota Production System can do this. Robust means remaining strong against unanticipated purturbances. Agile means being able to change quickly. Toyota takes about 4 years from auto concept to manufactuing, GM takes 5 to 6 years.
Above all The Six Sigma Toyota Production System drives Hospital Improvememt to Excellence with these Benefits:
- ABOVE ALL, PREPARE FOR SINGLE-PAYER CHANGES.
- FOR EXAMPLE MOVE 72% OF NON EMERGENCY, EMERGENCY ROOM PATIENTS, TO A SECOND, HIGHLY EFFICIENT, LOW COST, EMERGENCY ROOM.
- ERADICATE FAT OR WHAT LEAN SIX SIGMA CALLS WASTE.
- SUBSEQUENTLY INCREASING PATIENT FLOW.
- CONSTANT DEFECT REMOVAL, INCLUDING HOSPITAL ACQUIRED INFECTIONS.
- IF POSSIBLE, “PULL” WHERE POSSIBLE SUCH AS WITH SUPPLIES.
- WHOLE HOSPITAL QUEST FOR PERFECTION.
- ABOVE ALL PROFOUND KNOWLEDGE OF ALL YOUR PROCESSES WITH .
- ACHIEVE EXCELLENCE THROUGH GUIDING PRINCIPLES.
- MEANWHILE CREATE A HOSPITAL CULTURE OF GREATNESS.
- SUPPLIERS DECREASE COSTS, YEAR OVER YEAR.
- INCREASE SURGERY FLOW, BECOME A SURGERY EXCELLENCE CENTER.
The Toyota Production System Creates Hospital Excellence when Applied to Hospitals:
This, on the other hand, is a study of Single Payer Hospitals:
Consequently Single Payer Hospitals focus on the Patient Experience and achieving Operational Excellence. A Single Payer System will force massive change on hospitals and some will not survive. Can we continue to pay 17.7% of our total expenditures to healthcare, when European governments pay 9%? Operate your Six Sigma Hospital today.
Six Sigma European Hospitals are More Efficent and Have Better Results
Subsequently a European Hospital comparison with American Hospitals:
- Firstly operate at lower cost,
- Patients live longer,
- Percentage of babies that live is higher, and
- Lastly focus on patient experience.
It’s time that American Hospitals lead, rather than lag.
Protect Your Patients
Hospital improvement means reducing Hospital Acquired Infections (HAI), which are when a hospital infectes a patient at the Hospital. Hospitals must standardize all their patient facing procresses and above all, adhere to those standards. More detail is in the video:
A Hospital Innovation: The Epidemic Emergency Room
The genesis of this Emergency Room (ER) Design is to significantly decrease Emergency Room cost. To clarify, a study showed that 72% of ER patients do not have an emergency. I asked the question “How come ERs funnel all patients through the same expensive system?” Above all, this design change routes the 72% through a less expensive, high speed ER. Watch the video for more details:
In short Hospitals are under a huge amount of stress. Starting with pandemics and ending with Single Payer, hospitals need to be agile and adaptive. This is what the Toyota Production System does for hospitals.
Certainly Weak hospitals are already failing and more will, with the pressures of Single Payer. The time to seek Six Sigma Hospital Excellence is now. It is time to stop reacting to the world and lead the world.
European Hospitals are about 35% more efficient than American hospitals. The time to adopt change is now. View this video to see Single Payer Hospitals Goals and Strategies:
Subsequently, Hospitals should innovate and constantly remove costs.
A Subsidiary of a Lean Six Sigma Master Black Belt, Visit Us Here: Ⓒ Lean Business 2019