Open Letter to a Government Secretary
Firstly, let me paint a picture of your future organization after implementing the expertise of the Toyota Production System. The advantages of a maniacal focus on processes:
- Above all, everyone in the Government System is directed toward success,
- Consequently, the Government System focuses on the value they produce,
- Firstly, everyone on the service or product line becomes a quality inspector through the use of andon:
- andon is the stoppage of a system when a defect is detected,
- Continuously remove defects,
- Toyota still receives about 800 andon stops per year per manufacturing plant,
- Toyota has a strategy to minimize the impact of stoppages.
- Suppliers work to create a just-in-time system where they can decrease your costs,
- All smaller but often purchased items can be put into a double bin system to decrease inventory costs and increase availability,
- The Government System Seeks Perfection:
- At a rate of about 1 idea a month,
- Management defines the direction of all ideas,
- Toyota will not expand to a new plant unless they have a critical mass of employees that know this procedure,
- This is how come no competitor will ever catch Toyota, and
- Your culture improves to one of winning.
- Implement the Pull methodology wherever possible. It increases process speed and minimizes inventory waste,
- Consequently, the Government System implements Lean Six Sigma to:
- Certainly, increase process velocity,
- Decrease process costs, and
- Increase process quality.
- Success metrics are periodically reported to management, and
- Your organization no longer worries about the competition but welcomes them. Your System will get stronger year after year.
The Toyota Production System is a 6+ Sigma System and there’s no reason how come your Government System cannot strive for that level of performance. The above list is but a short summary of how your future Government System will function.
Lean Six Sigma Master Black Belt